#1 reason older people put a move on hold is stress. Are you getting ready to downsize but finding it difficult? Here are some reasons why this might be:1) Items hold precious memories. Each
10 Reasons why it it's hard to downsize
Dated: February 27 2024
#1 reason older people put a move on hold is stress. Are you getting ready to downsize but finding it difficult? Here are some reasons why this might be:
1) Items hold precious memories. Each possession tells a story, and it is hard for us to let go of that item for fear of losing the "memory' attached to it.
2) They just don't make them' like they used to! The perception of quality and value in older possessions compared with modern-day pieces.
3) I worked hard for that! Previous generations did without and worked very hard to achieve all that they have. Many of those 65+ have lived through more than one economic downturn or political conflict.
4) I might "need" that someday. Again referring back to working hard for something or doing without to purchase an item for the family: something as simple as a kitchen appliance may have taken months to save for. Hoarding can start from such a simple concept of "maybe I'll need that one day".
5) It was a gift! Out of respect, I can't possibly think of getting rid of that. 6) It is a family heirloom. It may be an heirloom but if it's stuck in the back of a drawer, or lost in the attic, are you truly embracing your heritage?
7) Sense of losing "oneself" during the process of downsizing. Our identity seems to be tied to our possessions.
8) No one to help!
9) You know that it has to be done, but don't know where to start! - Overwhelmed.
10) Where will I go?
Learn more about our Concierge Service for downsizing, selling mom/dad's place and for busy people who would like us to manage the details on their behalf.
Feel free to contact us for any real estate inquiries!
I enjoyed being the star of HGTV's Property Virgins and Buy Herself for several years, helping many of the participants achieve their goals. I work with a wide range of buyers and sellers in the GTA. ....